Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Let's not turn Point Whitehorn into Point Whitetrash


Last Sunday, I paddled my kayak from Birch Bay village, around Point Whitehorn, to Cherry Point, and back. I was blessed by light winds, favorable currents, and a stunning low-light altocumulus mackerel sky. It was my first paddle around Point Whitehorn Marine Reserve, which includes 54 acres of beach, forest, and bluff – purchased by Whatcom Land Trust in 2007. Heavy industry loomed in the distance: the BP and Conoco Phillips refineries, and Alcoa Intalco Works Aluminum smelter. Lots of plastic loomed in the foreground: a bucket, barrel, rope, styrofoam, water bottles, an abandoned net with a dead cormorant, and hundreds of abandoned crab pot buoys.

Will you help us pick up OUR plastic? Interested in sponsoring, organizing, or attending a beach cleanup? If you are, we want to hear from you. I can be reached at leef@re-sources.org

No comments:

Post a Comment